Hello and welcome!
Please click the Enroll for free button above to access the free video and goodies... and then sit back and I will tell you a story of The Stone Cutter: An ancient tale from Asia filmed on Dartmoor. Click on the video player to the left .
When you are done, scroll down to explore the rest of the course content. There you will find:
- A hand drawn storyboard for you to download and print as an "at a glance" reminder of the story
- A history and lineage of the story and how I came to it
- Tips and tricks on storytelling as relevant to this story
- A downloadable mp3 audio file of the story for you to listen to in your own time
- An in depth activity guide - How to make PVA mudrock to carve
- An A4 printable curriculum and activity links ideas sheet
I think this course is taking a new path in the world of nature connection and nature interpretation. Why? Well, I see it as stepping both forwards and backwards in time: looking to the future by going online to help carry on or even re-awaken an ancient aural tradition, and to help people like yourself to become better storytellers. Ultimately I hope to help thousands of folks of all ages to be more connected to themselves and the natural wonders of the world around us with the assistance of the power of story.
What are you going to get out of it?
- Increased confidence to hold audiences and tell stories
- New stories to learn and tell
- Top tips
- Opportunity to join a community of budding storytellers through the Facebook group
This sample course is my first foray into the world of online training and CPD...a bit weird since what I hope it will do is inspire people to get out into nature and get connected to themselves, each other and the wonders of nature around us all. As Yeats put it so well: "The world is full of magic things patiently waiting for the senses to grow sharper"... we need to grow our senses! I hope this course help you grow.
In this course I am also doing the best I can with what I've got. I share with you:
- Storytelling skills
- Ideas and inspiration from over 10 years of teaching outdoors
- A capacity for mentoring
- A love of music and outdoor play
- A geeky fascination with the interconnectedness the internet offers
- A love and wonder of Nature
So, you may be asking who is this Chris Holland chap anyway?
HI! It's Chris here...I am a passionate outdoor educator and nature connection facilitator with a gift for storytelling. I think storytelling is one of the best ways to share information, drops of inspiration and petals of wisdom and wonder for interested ears and hearts to pick up.
I also love how people of all ages learn through play, often without knowing they are learning. So in many ways, Story and Play are the ultimate in stealthy teachers! I use a mixture of stories, games and activities in my teaching methods and practice.
Am I qualified to teach this course? I think so... I got a degree in Environmental Science in 1993, started storytelling in 1998 and I trained as a Forest School Leader in 2004. In 2009 I self published I love my world - the playful, hands-on nature connection guidebook. It's become a "must have" handbook for more than 6000 forest school leaders, teachers and parents around the world. In 2014 I contributed a chapter to Storytelling for a greener world (Hawthorne Press 2014). I love storytelling and I hope to pass loads of enthusiasm and experience through this course!